What is the level of toxicity of grapes for dogs?

What Are Grapes?

Grapes are a popular and widely consumed fruit that comes in different colors and sizes. They are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that offer several health benefits to humans. Grapes are commonly used in making wines, jams, jellies, and juices. They are also often used as a snack or as an ingredient in salads, desserts, and other dishes.

Why Are Grapes Toxic to Dogs?

While grapes are a healthy fruit for humans, they can be extremely toxic to dogs. The exact cause of grape toxicity in dogs is unknown, but it is believed to be related to a compound found in grapes and raisins called tannins. Tannins can cause damage to a dog’s kidneys, leading to acute kidney failure. The toxicity of grapes in dogs is unpredictable, and even small amounts can be harmful.

What Happens When Dogs Eat Grapes?

When dogs eat grapes, they may show signs of gastrointestinal distress such as vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. These symptoms can occur within a few hours of ingestion and may last for several days. As the toxicity progresses, dogs may become lethargic, show signs of dehydration, and have decreased urine output. In severe cases, dogs may experience acute kidney failure, which can be life-threatening.

Mary Allen

Written by Mary Allen

Hello, I'm Mary! I've cared for many pet species including dogs, cats, guinea pigs, fish, and bearded dragons. I also have ten pets of my own currently. I've written many topics in this space including how-tos, informational articles, care guides, breed guides, and more.

Leave a Reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *