This Will Help Protect Your Dog From Wasp And Bee Stings

Like your dog, insects love meat. To prevent your dog from getting bitten, you should pay special attention to what it eats, what it crushes, and what it sniffs during the spring and summer months. Because: for dogs with allergies, a single bee or wasp sting can be life-threatening.

In non-allergic dogs, the bite causes painful swelling. The only real danger for them is a dog bite in the throat, as the swelling can make breathing difficult.

First Aid to a Dog After a Bee Sting

But what if, despite all the caution, your dog is stung by a bee or a wasp? If the sting is still in the skin, remove it and immediately cool the bite site for 10-15 minutes to reduce swelling and pain.

Cool bags or ice cubes wrapped in towels are ideal for this. In an emergency, cold water or a damp cloth can also help.

Is My Dog Allergic? Here’s How You Know It

Then you should watch out for signs of allergies. Itchy rash and swelling are the most common allergic reactions to the bite. Many dogs also experience abdominal pain with vomiting and diarrhea. Weak circulation to the point of collapse, difficulty breathing, discoloration of the mucous membranes, and seizures may be other symptoms.

In the worst case, your dog will pass out. If you suspect an allergic reaction or a bite in your throat, contact your Veterinary Emergency Service immediately as a life-threatening condition may develop.

First Aid Kit with Antiallergic Drugs

Some dogs are very allergic to wasp and bee stings. If your four-legged friend has already had an allergic reaction, you should be extra careful and feed him, for example, only indoors. So he does not come into contact with poisonous insects at all.

You should also prepare for an emergency with an allergy medicine kit. Many veterinarians like to tailor the emergency medicine kit for their allergy patients.

Prevention Through the Right Treatment

To protect an allergic dog from a life-threatening situation after a bee or wasp sting, you can now also desensitize the animals. Your veterinarian advises giving your dog bee and wasp allergens in minimal but gradually increasing doses.

In such a case, desensitization must be renewed at increasingly longer intervals. Desensitizing therapy has been used successfully in humans for decades and can also be used for other allergens such as food and pollen.

If you have a dog with allergies, a visit to your veterinarian is the best solution. The local veterinarian can adapt the treatment to the current condition of the dog.

Mary Allen

Written by Mary Allen

Hello, I'm Mary! I've cared for many pet species including dogs, cats, guinea pigs, fish, and bearded dragons. I also have ten pets of my own currently. I've written many topics in this space including how-tos, informational articles, care guides, breed guides, and more.

Leave a Reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *