The traces of the Norwich Terrier can be traced back to old England. The terrier’s ancestors include small, red-brown dogs that were mostly used to catch rats and mice. Over time, the dogs became more and more popular.
However, proper breeding of the breed did not begin until the late 19th century in the east county of Norfolk, when the breed was becoming increasingly popular among students, among others. Hence the name of the dogs: Norwich is the capital of this county.
Fun fact: the little dog even made it onto the coat of arms of Cambridge University. The little Pied Piper was appreciated in more and more social circles.
Based on this, the similarity to the Norfolk Terrier can also be seen. Up until the 1960s, the two breeds were closely related, even referred to as one and the same. The only difference between the two was the position of their ears. Meanwhile, the breeds also differ in their character.
The beginning of the Norwich Terrier breed can be traced back to the mixed breed male “Rags” and the Dandie-Dinmont and Smooth Fox Terrier female “Ninety”.
In 1932 the Norwich Terrier breed was officially recognized by the Kennel Club.
If you are even more interested in the history of the terrier, take a look at the painting “The Arnolfini Wedding” (1434) by painter Jan van Eyk. There is a small dog in the picture that looks remarkably similar to the modern-day Norwich Terrier.