What helps humans cannot harm animals, can it? Yes, the active ingredients of common drugs can even be fatal for dogs and cats.
Your dog or cat is limp, does not eat, or is in pain. As a responsible pet owner, you naturally want to help quickly. But beware! Because: In order for the beloved animal to feel better again, the medicine cabinet is quickly searched – often for tablets with ibuprofen or paracetamol. Not a good idea.
The administration of ibuprofen or paracetamol, for example, leads to severe poisoning in dogs and cats, warns veterinarian Sabrina Schneider from “Aktion Tier”. The consequences of incorrect medication administration could be fatal for animals and, in the worst case, even result in death.
Animals Require Different Dosages Than Humans
This is also due to the fact that animals require completely different dosages than humans for various diseases. Therefore, tablets and other medication should only be given after consulting a veterinarian, advises Schneider. Then you can be sure that the four-legged friend is really only given active ingredients that are also approved for animals.
But what to do when the vet is already closed? Instead of going to the medicine cabinet, it is better to use the phone: In veterinary emergencies, there is usually a veterinary on-call service that offers emergency service on the weekends and at night.