Can Dogs Eat Acorns?

If you walk attentively through the world, you will find all kinds of delicacies along the way.

Especially in autumn, when ripe nuts kiss the ground, we often ask ourselves what is edible.

Are acorns also part of a nutritious snack and, above all, can dogs eat acorns?

In this article you will find out what the nut of the oak tree is all about and whether your dog can nibble on it on the go.

Have fun while reading!

In a nutshell: Can dogs eat acorns?

No, dogs are not allowed to eat acorns! Acorns are extremely poisonous to dogs. Even an average amount of five to ten fruits is enough to kill a dog weighing ten kilograms. Symptoms of poisoning are fatigue, loss of appetite, fever, nausea, constipation, diarrhea, etc.

Acorns have no place in the diet of dogs. If your dog has accidentally eaten acorns on a walk, keep a close eye on it and contact your vet as a precaution.

Are Acorns Healthy?

Paradox: Acorns are both healthy and poisonous.

They contain unsaturated fatty acids, proteins, and many B vitamins. However, raw acorns are inedible due to the tannins they contain.

Before acorns can be eaten, they must be peeled, roasted and soaked to get rid of the toxic tannins. After soaking for a few days, the acorns can be dried and processed further.

Already knew?

Especially in the post-war period, acorn coffee and baked goods made with acorn flour, such as bread, biscuits and even pancakes, were a popular food source.

Can I feed my dog ​​acorns?

We definitely advise against this!

Even if acorns don’t seem all that unhealthy at first glance, dogs can’t do much with them even after processing the nut.

To be more precise: Acorns are of no use to your dog and, in the worst case, can even harm him!

What happens when dogs eat acorns?

As is so often the case, the quantity makes the poison.

If your dog accidentally ate an acorn on your fall walk, it can lead to stomach pain and diarrhea. There is also a risk of intestinal obstruction if your dog swallows an acorn whole.

It becomes really dangerous from a quantity of five to ten fruits. Depending on the size and weight of your dog, even fewer acorns are enough to cause serious problems.

The bitter tannins are also released by biting the acorn, so don’t let your dog play with it!

The bitten glans and the tannins it contains can severely damage your dog’s intestinal wall and trigger gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining).

Acorn Poisoning?

The combination of dog and acorn is definitely not to be trifled with.

However, chances are your dog won’t pick up fallen acorns in the first place. Dogs often know instinctively what is good for them and what is not.


If you’ve observed your dog eating acorns, keep an eye on them and if in doubt contact your veterinarian sooner rather than later.

Symptoms of poisoning in dogs

How to tell if your dog has ingested something toxic:

  • fatigue
  • exhaustion
  • loss of appetite
  • constipation
  • (stomach) cramps
  • Nausea & Vomiting
  • diarrhea (with or without blood)
  • weakness
  • apathy

What are acorns and who are they good for?

Acorns are the fruit of the oak tree, the most common deciduous tree in Germany.

They are oval to round and about two to three centimeters in size. The small cap that encloses the green-brown glans on one side is characteristic.

In the wild, acorns are eaten primarily by wild animals such as deer, roe deer, wild boar, squirrels, dormouse, mice, hamsters, and jays. But pigs and goats can also eat the small nut without hesitation.

Can dogs eat oak leaves?

No, dogs are not allowed to eat oak leaves.

Just like the acorn, both the oak leaf and tree bark contain tannins that can lead to symptoms of poisoning in dogs.

So it is better not to let your dog chew on branches or bark of the oak!


Especially in autumn, when a lot of fruit falls from the trees, you should always keep a close eye on your dog. Chestnuts and pine cones that have fallen down can also be dangerous if your dog chews on them or even eats them.

In short: Can dogs eat acorns?

No, dogs are not allowed to eat acorns!

Acorns contain tannins, more precisely tannins, which are inedible and poisonous for both us humans and dogs.

Although the acorn can be further processed for human consumption, it is in no way suitable for dogs.

Make sure your dog doesn’t eat acorns on your walk. The same applies to tree bark and oak leaves, which also contain toxic tannins.

Do you have any questions about dogs and acorns? Then please write us a comment under this article.

Mary Allen

Written by Mary Allen

Hello, I'm Mary! I've cared for many pet species including dogs, cats, guinea pigs, fish, and bearded dragons. I also have ten pets of my own currently. I've written many topics in this space including how-tos, informational articles, care guides, breed guides, and more.

Leave a Reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *